Individualized Solutions: Every person’s tax problem is different. We analyze your situation and customize a solution just for you. You will never be treated as just another number and “fit into a box” like the big, national firms.
We represent you before the IRS and help you with:
- Past Due and/or Unpaid Taxes – First of all, just because the IRS says you owe them taxes doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s accurate or that the amount they say you owe cannot be negotiated to a lesser amount. The IRS often makes mistakes and . . . gasp . . . miscalculations. Further, your financial situation may show that you are unable to make any payments and the amount of taxes you owe may be reduced or forgiven. Don’t just pay the IRS because they make a demand on you. Let us help you determine a reduced amount of tax, if any at all, and negotiate a tax resolution in your favor.
- Relief of Penalties – We can negotiate with the IRS to lower, or in some cases completely eliminate, the penalty portion of your tax bill. There are many circumstances that give rise to penalty assessments, i.e., late filing, failure to pay, insufficient withholding or estimate tax payments, and others. There are nine main defenses for actions that cause a penalty assessment. During our resolution of your case we will argue a reasonable cause for penalty reduction and/or abatement.
- Unfiled Returns – It’s never too late to file your tax return. Penalties and interest continue to accrue even if you haven’t filed your returns. Your tax problems don’t just go away because you haven’t filed – they get worse! Often times we find that merely filing past due returns reduces the taxes owed. Also, all returns must be filed, but not necessarily pay any taxes due, before your case can be fully resolved.
- Stop Wage Garnishments – If your tax assessments go unpaid the IRS may resort to garnishing your wages. The IRS contacts your employer who is then obligated to withhold funds from your paycheck to satisfy your tax debts. Once the IRS has notified your employer of wage garnishment against you there is a short period of time to stop the garnishment. It can also be stopped once the garnishment has been made but it’s much better to stop it before it happens. We can, in most cases, stop garnishments within 24 hours which will give us time to negotiate a settlement that works for you.
- Stop IRS Bank Levies – The IRS may also levy your bank account if tax assessments go unpaid. While levied, your bank account will be frozen and the funds in it will not be available to you. As with wage garnishments we can usually remove the levy within 24 hours.
- Release Property Tax Liens – Similarly to garnishment and levies, the IRS can place a lien on your property for unpaid taxes. This lien remains on your property until all taxes are paid or a solution is negotiated with the IRS. If your property is sold the IRS gets paid the full amount of the tax assessment from the proceeds of the sale. It basically guarantees that the IRS will get their money. As part of our overall service we will negotiate a release of lien to uncloud the title on your property.
- Properly Structured Payment Plans – We can set up a payment plan with the IRS so that you can satisfy your tax debts over a period of up to six years. It is important to construct this installment agreement properly so that it fits into your budget. The IRS wants as much as it can get as fast as it can get it. We protect you with an agreement that puts you in charge of your cash flow . . . not the IRS.
- Offer in Compromise – In cases where you just cannot pay the taxes due we will negotiate an Offer in Compromise with the IRS. It is a contract wherein the IRS accepts a lower, often a much lower, amount than the taxes due. This completely absolves you of any further payments for the taxes in question.
- IRS Audits – I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that representing yourself before the IRS is like bringing a fly swatter to a gun fight. Their agents are highly trained to extract as much money as possible from you. In addition, you may not be familiar with the tax laws which puts you at a terrific disadvantage. We know how the IRS operates and will use every weapon in our arsenal to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
- Payroll Tax Problems – Unpaid payroll taxes can mount up quickly. It’s easy to put off paying the government in order to keep the doors open. However, sooner or later the IRS will knock on your door and demand payment. We will negotiate a solution that works for you.
- Innocent Spouse Claims – Often times the IRS will come after a spouse who signed a tax return without knowing what’s in it. This may even occur under duress (“sign it, or else!”). When that return turns out to be deficient and additional taxes, penalties and interest are assessed, the IRS may still hold innocent spouse responsible. We can appeal to the IRS to relieve the innocent spouse of any liability for taxes for which he/she is not responsible.
- Collection Appeals – Just because the IRS says it’s over doesn’t mean it’s over. We will explore all appeal processes available to achieve a fair outcome for you.